Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pin stripe glazed kitchen cabinets

If you are looking for quick, easy, and extremely affordable way to update your kitchen cabinets, think "glaze". I know everyone is painting their kitchen cabinets lately, but if you don't have the time for that project - or if you are like me and happen to be one of the few people left that likes wood cabinetry - an overall glaze, or a pin-stripe glaze is an excellent option.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I tried an overall glaze:

The cabinet door on the left has the glaze on it. I like this look - kind of an old world, worn look - but this would involve glazing everything - doors and frame.


So I tried the pin stripe option:

The door on the left has the pin stripe glaze. I love it! Adds a bit of depth and character to the cabinets, and the doors are pretty much the same color, so I can leave the frames alone.


Here is a quick before picture:


And now:


I am so happy with the results!


And the best part? It cost about $30 total and took an afternoon to complete.



Here is a step-by-step:



You will need a glaze (in the paint department at the paint store) and a pint of whatever color paint you want. I chose a dark brown. For those of you that are more adventurous, a color like red or blue might look cool!!

You also need a foam brush and lots and lots of rags.

1. Mix the glaze and paint together in a small mixing container. I did a 2:1 ratio - 2 parts paint to 1 part glaze. The more glaze you use, the easier it is to wipe off and clean up mistakes.

2.

Apply the paint/glaze combo into the crevasses on your cabinets. It's okay to be messy with it - that is the beauty of working with glaze. It is very forgiving.


3.

Wipe it off! It's as easy as that. With the pin stripe technique, the idea is to leave the paint in the crevasses, so wipe around it.



That's it!!


Another before:


And after:



What a difference!
I plan on changing out the hardware to something a bit more traditional.




Ahhh, the sign of a productive day.


Hope you all like it!


I am participating in:

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




Furniture Feature Fridays

29 comments:

  1. I really like the way the glaze looks in the crevices. Thanks for the step by step tutorial. I love those . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This little bit of color adds so much to the cabinets! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project! So simple, cheap,and really made a big impact. Much easier to take on than a full paint job. Ha! And my hands look like at the end of most days. I orget to put on my gloves most of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. I recently attempted this and my pin stripe was much less dramatic, so I gave up. I think maybe all I need is a pint of dark brown paint! Thanks for the nudge.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really brings out the detail in the cabinets! Great job.

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so great! Congratulations for having the strength and patience to do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Danielle...

    I love, love, LOVE your pinstriped cabinets!!! What a grand idea! I would have never thought to do this...and it turned out beautifully!!! I think it gives your cabinets a very chic tailored look...love it!!! Thank you for sharing your creativity and talents with us...GRAND idea!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! it is such an easy re-do. I think some antique bronze pulls and knobs would really set it off even more

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...I love it! I have wood stained cabinets too...think I will try this! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup yup yup! I'm a total glaze fanatic myself! I've glazed poorly painted items and they've come out looking newish. Such a cool cheat method for a fresh look.

    Love the cabs! And a brilliant reminder, not everything needs a new coat of paint! I did a chair like that as well and it looks totally different.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great addition to the cabinets. I love the glazed look!!!
    Thanks so much for linking!
    ~Andy@ Poppies@Play

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Cheap Chic Home. Nice idea (ha ha, I've been there--note to self--next time wear gloves!) Thanks for sharing, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks fabulous....makes such a statement. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Great results and great blog! I'm having a giveaway over at my blog. If you get a chance come by and enter, today is the last day! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Danielle, Can you tell me what glaze you used?? Thanks!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good idea - I love the after pictures!! Way to go - found you through creative cats on poppies at play - love your ideas!! Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome idea! LOVE IT!!!! it totally changed everything. good job

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great idea. My cabinets are the builder's 'slight upgrade' to a dark cherry. However, they are now 7-years old and need a boost. I'm going to give this a try in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very very nice! I am going to try this on my bathroom cabs!ann at housefinally.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm SO doing this... I love my wood cabinets, too - and almost wish they were ugly or poor quality so I could paint them... but they are really nice. This idea gives me a much better option... I love it. I can not wait to do this. Your cabinets look richer, warmer, adds dimension... ~ kim

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you once again for another great idea! I still don't have the "before" pictures I was planning on posting today... We had a snow day so the guys are out of school and hubby is home. I went into the kitchen to take pictures and all the doors were off the cabinets! LOL! It was just too expensive to replace all the "bronze" hinges right now so they sprayed painted them "hammered silver." Now to pick up some glaze and see about pinstriping the doors. I see a few more projects in the near future!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job! We have many clients hire us to do this! In person.... it makes such a change. Glad you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm totally late to this post, but I have to give you a big thank you. I found a picture of the most amazing cabinets in a magazine, but had no idea how to do the glazing. Now I know and I'm a very, very happy girl. :D You make it look incredibly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an exciting experience!/Hilarious! Delightful! True!/wonderful stuff! thank you!

    Kitchen Cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you have to do any prep work to the finished cabinets, or did you just put the glaze over whatever finish was on it? Been thinking of doing this for sometime. My cabinets are a lot like yours. I'm excited to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete